Search This Blog

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Gardening and other stuff

Gardening is an ongoing process all summer here. You harvest a while and plant more.I went back to the garden today and picked up my onions that I had pulled last night to dry. Rough measure, I prolly had 3 bushel with the tops still on. Some were pretty nice size.I got them spread out on the floor of an outbuilding to dry and hopefully cure well enough to keep in the cellar for a while.
 


 I peeled and sliced about a bushel this afternoon and got the dehydrator loaded and another bucket sliced waiting to be dried.
 I had some open space in the onion and asparagus bed so I used it to sow some lettuce and a few cucumber seeds here at the house for quick salads.  I used some of the oat straw to put over the seeds to hold moisture and keep down weeds and grass, hopefully. We will see how that works out for me. I may be pulling lots of grass sprouts out and doing a lot of cussing.
Tomorrow is chicken butchering day. I have 10 dark Cornish that are ready to butcher. I am keeping 5 of the pullets to replace some of my laying flock. The forecast is for 96+ degrees tomorrow. Don't think butchering is going to be a pleasant job. Then I hope to get the stock made and some of the chicken canned tomorrow as well. I usually can the thighs and some of the legs for soup and such. Homemade chicken noodle soup is so comforting in winter when its cold outside.
Till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

No comments: