Search This Blog

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Little chicks



Well as of today I have 17 little chicks that have hatched out in the incubator. I had intended to give them to the momma hen that was setting at the same time but when I took one of the chicks out there today to put it under her she started pecking it. So she is going to be stew pot material. I am cleaning out the brooder house tomorrow and will put the little chicks in there with a heat light and hand raise them like I have in the past. They are so cute.It is funny how the chicks dont have any interest in food or drink for the first day or so after hatching. Then they know what to do with both when it is offered to them. The ones that I have in a box are already eating and drinking and very active. This they do with their God given instinct. I will be setting more eggs in the incubator as soon as it is cleaned and I have enough eggs to fill it again.
Not much happening here today with the rain we have had. It is too wet to plant potatoes and stuff in the big garden. All that will get done later on this week as it is supposed to be warm and nice all week. And my summer kitchen is getting started this week as well. I am so happy about that. I have needed one for years and now its happening. So till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.


Stella

No comments: