Search This Blog

Friday, March 19, 2010

Greenhouse project



We started the greenhouse project yesterday and finished it up today. Not a hard project, just took some hillbilly ingenuity.
We started by driving 1 1/2 inch pieces of pipe 2 ft long into the ground, evenly spaced and down the side of where we wanted the greenhouse to be. Pipe was used pipe from the oilfield. These pipe are to anchor each end of the re bar that become the ribs of the greenhouse.



Once the re bar is in place we tied the whole thing together with lengths of re bar running horizontal. These pieces were wired in place to stabilize the frame work.These were 20 ft runs of re bar left from the cellar project last fall.



With the re bar up and stabilized we started the end framing. We framed the front side for a door and the back end was to be covered with plastic. Most of the framing material was used or leftover from other projects, some was purchased the day before new. The treated lumber was used everywhere the wood touches the ground. The plywood was used as well.



Once the frame work was up, we used duct tape to tape and cover all the re bar and rough edges that could potentially rub a hole in the plastic. On the back end where it was not framed, we used old used pipe insulation to cover the re bar.



The hardest task was trying to get the plastic on in a breeze. I purchased a roll of 6 mil plastic in 16ft by 100 ft. We only used a total of about 32 ft. So I have enough to redo the green house for the next several years. We also got the braces up on the inside which will be under the benches that will run down both sides. I used some used rubber roofing on the ground so that later I can cover it with gravel. But in the meantime the black roofing material will help retain heat at night. Will decide later if I really need to cover the floor with gravel. Tomorrow we finish up the door and the benches and the flats of plants will be up off the ground at working height.
Total 10ft by 12 ft project with a 7 ft center height cost out of pocket around $140 and 2 days work.
Till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

2 comments:

MA Fat Woman said...

My dad always wanted to lay the plastic on the tobacco beds on the windiest day of the year. It usually wasn't very much fun...

stella said...

Hey MA, well if ya need the wind to blow, just drag out a big ole sheet of plastic that needs to be placed precisely on something and it will kick up a good breeze.lol I like my lil greenhouse, no all I gotta do is figger out how to heat it in winter for free and I will be all set.