Search This Blog

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Trial run

I did a trial run of canned corn today just to see if we would like the taste. I have corn in the freezer from last year and decided to thaw some and can it to see how it would do. It was a sugar enhanced corn and with processing it did turn a lil dark. This is caused from the long processing times and the sugar content. As soon as our corn gets ready this year, it is a normal sweet corn, I will can a batch of it to see how it compares. Although the corn I canned today tastes fine, the color is not to my liking.
I picked a few more strawberries today and put them in the dehydrator to dry. They can be used in cereal and tea once they dry. Also cut some peppermint, lemon balm to dry and chives and dill got chopped and put in the freezer.Neither dill nor chives are good dried.
Not much else happening here today, so till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

3 comments:

Mary said...

What dehydrator do you use? We've been planning to buy one this summer and I'm always interested in folk's opinions on them.

stella said...

Hi Mary, I have one of the cheap ones from wally world, I think its the Nesco brand. It has the thermostat and a fan. It does a good job for the money. I have looked at the Excalibur and I dont think I want to spend that kinda money because I can most things instead of drying. This one does great with herbs, veggies and jerky as well. Hope ya havin a good weekend.

Mary said...

Thanks Stella! I'm still on the fence about how much to spend on this. Every chance I get I ask folks what they think. Appreciate another 2.5cents to weigh on that. ;-)