Search This Blog

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Whoa, what happened to spring?

After the sun went down this evening it got down right cold outside. It is supposed to be in the low 30's for several nights in a row. And we are under a frost warning tonight. I got a few herbs that will need covered up and will have to start heat in the greenhouse tonight. I surely dont need 300 frozen tomato plants, not to mention peppers, and all the other stuff in there that dont need to freeze.
I have worked out in the yard all day doing odd and end things. Got the weeds all out of the asparagus and onions and they are ready for some mulch as soon as I decide what I want to use on them. The strawberries are loaded with bloom this year, the grapevines are leafed out nicely, and my peony bush has buds on it this year also. The hops and kiwi vines are growing like crazy on their trellis. I can only hope that the fact that we are down here by the river will keep us from getting any heavy frost at this point.
The summer kitchen is close to being finished. The guys are working on the molding for it now so I can get it painted probably tomorrow and start painting the cabinets. I will be so glad to have this done, I am thinking it will make my life somewhat easier. Or at least less mess in the house during canning time.
Till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

No comments: