Search This Blog

Sunday, April 4, 2010

A busy Easter

We had a busy Easter around here. They guys worked on the summer kitchen and got lots done on it. The windows are in, roof is started, some of the siding is on and these will get finished tomorrow. I am really pleased with my $20 windows, they worked out nicely.The weather was just wonderful today, warm and sunny. Jason started  a big crock pot of venison stew this morning so we could have that for supper. Some of us had strawberry shortcake for dessert. A good way to wind down a day.
I went to the greenhouse and got some of the plants in repotted. Most all my seedling were started in the peat pellets this year because I thought I was going to have to keep them in the house. The pellets are fine for some things I suppose but not to get good hardy seedling started for the garden. The pellets dry out rather quickly and the plants feel confined and dont have enough room to make good healthy roots. I have run out of the 4 and 6 packs that I had been using to start seedlings so I am using good potting soil to fill in around the peat pellets in the flats to give them something to get their roots into and hope they will grow bigger and better. So no more peat pellets for seed starting here. I need to visit my friend at the greenhouse in town and see about purchasing some more of the packs to get the rest of the plants moved into. Maybe I can do that tomorrow as I go to check in on mom at the nursing home.
Earlier this afternoon I did manage to weed the asparagus bed and I have little asparagus spears coming up all over. I think I was instructed to let the just grow this year and maybe next year I will have some to harvest.
So tomorrow we will be building on the kitchen again and I will finish up in the greenhouse and maybe get my landscaping done near the sidewalk in back of the house.So till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

No comments: