Search This Blog

Friday, November 12, 2010

Will I ever get done?

I wish I had an answer to that question. I am usually done with all the butchering and set for the winter by this time. We did butcher 18 of the biggest cornish cross chickens today and we got stock made and some of the chicken canned. My mother in law is spending the week with us. She and I spent lots of time together when I was first married and then I guess life got in the way. We have had a really nice week and have talked constantly trying to catch up for 20 years. She and Rodger plucked while I cut up the birds and then she helped me get the stock made, chicken in the freezer and some of it canned. Rodger and Jason spent the later part of the evening trying to get the grain conveyor to run and get a wagon load of corn un- loaded. Now we think we will have to buy a new motor. Now it is a race to get this done before it rains later this weekend. Today was a perfect day to work out. Cool, but not cold, sunny. I really wish the whole winter was like this. Not likely it will be tho. Such is life. Rodger is going to get a motor in the morning and I think Jason will be the one deer hunting. Not sure what we are doing tomorrow. I do still need to get my bean seed picked and brought in to shell after they get really dry. I will also need to bag up the corn we are going to shell for cornmeal and hominy. The chores never end on the farm. So till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

1 comment:

small farm girl said...

I'm glad you had help butchering the chickens. It is always nicer that way. lol.