Search This Blog

Friday, October 2, 2009

Another day in paradise

Its just another day to try and get a lot of things done before the weather changes into fall. We have gotten most of the old farm house painted inside, still have 2 large rooms and a bathroom to paint and then the trim to finish. While out of town to a dentist appointment we had to do some shopping and picked up some paint at a discount store. It was a good name brand for $25 for a 5 gallon bucket. It was a light beige color which works great for the house. Also got 3 other gallon buckets of white paint for the trim. All really good quality paint and saved a bundle of money on it.
We have the dozer back here to get the root cellar covered over so we can plant grass on it before too late in the season. The top of the cellar will end up having about a foot of dirt on it to help maintain an even temperature all year around.
I have been wanting to get some pears off the tree to ripen so I can make pear preserves and haven't done that yet, so maybe I can do that tomorrow after I finish painting at the old house. The mustard and turnip greens I cut a week or so ago have grown back and need to be cut again. I have to get some straw next week and finish mulching all the plants that need to be mulched before winter. Dang I only have a week to get all this done as I am leaving on vacation October 10th and will be gone for a couple weeks. A much needed break before I have surgery on my elbow and am house bound all winter. Not looking forward to that at all.
Jason got the final mowing done on the farm yesterday and day before, it looks nice and tidy for a change. I noticed lots of fallen leaves got chopped up with the riding mower. The trees are starting to change into their coat of many colors for fall. And with the big full harvest moon, makes want to find a warm spot and curl up for a good long nap. Maybe that's a good plan. Till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

No comments: