Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

One down, 2 to go

I am referring to chicken houses. Rob got the hen house cleaned out today and the manure spread on the new garden spot. Then after dark we moved all the pullets into the hen house along with their rooster. When trying to merge 2 groups of birds this is the best way to do it. Move them at night and move them all  to a building that is not home to either group. This helps all of them get along better and not be so harsh about picking order. So all the pullets are in a nice clean house with straw and plenty of feed to keep them happy. Rob is still home and I think he is going to finish cleaning out the other 2 chicken houses tomorrow and spread the manure on the garden. Then when I get home from my docs appointment I can put down straw and get the brooder house ready for the baby chicks that will be here on September 22. This will be my final round of chickens to butcher this fall. If they arrive September 22, they will be ready to butcher the weekend of November 6th. By then the weather is cooler and makes for nice working weather outside.
I promised as soon as I had more pics uploaded of my cross country road trip I would post a link here. They are on facebook and this is the link.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=517922&id=691605301&l=d3ec259526
 
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=519233&id=691605301&l=c118dc3ed7
 
Enjoy! Till next time,blessings from the McGuire homestead.
Stella
 
 

No comments: