Search This Blog

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Fall clean up, planting wheat

It has been a busy day around here today. First off Rodger got our garden spot turned for next year. He also got the ground ready to plant the wheat Deb sent me some hard red winter wheat and we now have that sown. Hopefully we can harvest some about July of next year. The only thing left in our garden is the green beans that remain that I will pick when they dry for seed. And the sweet potatoes need to be dug. I finally got finished with all the apples. I did put several bags in the freezer to make fried apples. Really tasty with a hot biscuit and butter when the snow flys.
I did get my baby chicks last week and never got to post a pic because I had computer issues. So now ya can see my babies.


So far, healthy happy lil birds. Butcher will be the weekend of November 6th.
I gathered up all my used flower pots and took them to the greenhouse area. As you know the plastic did not last thru the summer on the green house. I am thinking about maybe getting some of the clear fiberglass green house panels to build with next year. But in the mean time all my pots are in one place. I will get a tarp and cover those for winter. The plastic I used this spring literally disintegrated. It has taken me all day to get most of the things picked up and put away that we have used all summer. I do still have some buckets that are scattered about to get later.
The weather today was wonderful to work outside. Temps in the 70's with a lil wind and leaves falling. It sure looks like fall out there.
Tomorrow I will get started on the pears and get those taken care of. I guess I need to find my recipe for pear butter with vanilla. So till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

No comments: