Search This Blog

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Outdoor chores have started

The weather was rather nice today, sunny but no rain or snow. We got out an got busy pruning our grapevines. They have been in 3 years now and we have never pruned them. Just for the record, this is a really bad idea. They get over grown and make the job harder.

They should have been trained to make tall trunks for the first 2 years then the third year leave 4 long branches with 6 buds each and below each of those a renewal cane with at least 2 buds on it. The following year this years producing branches should be pruned away and the renewal growth trained to the trellis. Again leave a renewal cane nearby for the following year. Google grape pruning and it is very simple with pictures.
 
My vines never got trained to make a large trunk and now they have branched out near the bottom so we had to cut them back rather drastically. The canes that were cut off can be used to start new grape vines. So I took about 65 cuttings to try an start those for new vines. Again simple instructions, cut canes and leave 3 or 4 buds on each cutting. The bottom and top cut should be near the top and bottom buds. Dip in rooting hormone and shove them into a tall container of damp sand. I used extra tall coffee cans for this with sand in them.

The canes are put in the sand over the second bud up the cane leaving the top bud exposed. In about a month they should have roots and the top bud should develop leaves. I put my container in a trash bag an sealed the top to keep in humidity till the plants get started. So they are sitting here in the house to keep warm and hopefully sprout roots an leaves soon.
Rodger also got the young pear tree pruned and tied back to try and straighten it up. Last year it had so many pears it pulled the tree and made it lean down the hill a good bit. So lil by lil we are getting some things done. Or maybe we just are trying to force spring. Next project will be to prune the big really old apple tree that is in the back yard at the home place. I really need to learn how to graft and propagate that tree.
Till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

4 comments:

DR said...

Wow! We pruned muscadines today and I have some rooting for ya. Maybe. I couldn't find the rooting hormone.I talked to um real sweet tho. As they say, like minds....

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are really on the ball. I haven't even thought about springtime chores yet! I think our grape vines really need pruning. I'll have to look at google.

Mary said...

You've reminded me.. I wanted to get some cuttings from the scuppernongs and wisteria here at the cabin.. just don't know what I'll do with them--take them to my house I guess. Renting again does have its down sides, but for the most part I'm kind of happy right now.

stella said...

Hi yall, i was jus so happy to get outside and do something at least. lol
Deb i didnt use roothormone either so am hopin for the best.
Ruth the pruning is easier if ya stay ahead of it an not let it go for 3 years lol
Mary Im sure you will find a nice place for the things ya start. Maybe ya online lil store. I have shipped plants to frens in other states before so dont see why ya couldnt ship em to a customer.