Search This Blog

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Nice weather, more outdoor work

Another beautiful day here today, warm, sunny and a nice breeze. If you were in the sun a tee shirt was nice, but the shady spots or when the wind blew it was a little cool for my liking. But if ya moved around a bit it was nice and warm. Rodger had gotten all the straw bedding out of the brooder house yesterday. So all that needed to be done today was a shovel run across the floor to scrape up anything that was stuck. And we know how chicken poop can stick. So I scraped the stuff off the floor and took the broom in there to brush down the walls and sweep the floor. All done , it s nice and clean and I am leaving the door open for a few days to allow it to dry really well. Then it will be ready for more babies in a month or so. I went from this to emptying out the compost that was in my compost tumbler out back and put it around the grape vines we had pruned last weekend. Then put the stuff I had scraped off the floor of the brooder house in the compost tumbler so it can compost down. I still had some energy left so I weeded the asparagus bed and raked off some of the dead plant tops that were still there from last fall. Hopefully we will have some asparagus this year. I went ahead and pulled up the cabbage plants that were still somewhat green and tossed those. I don't think they were gonna do much other than make seed at this point. I did get one decent head that was big enough to make some slaw for supper tonight. It was really super sweet and good. I finished weeding the onion bed and already have some lil green onions coming up in there from top sets I placed on the ground last fall. Those are the walking onions that make great green onions really early in the spring.  So if someone likes scallions or green onions those are the perfect thing to grow. And gosh do they produce lots of sets. This fall I will probably have to dig out some of them as they are starting to get crowded.
After I was tired of playing in the cold dirt I got in the cellar and took out all my half gallon jars that I had forgot I had and washed them up and they are drying. Tomorrow I will put the rest of my bread flour in those and vacuum seal them for longer storage. A pretty productive day I think.
Till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Southern California.

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You, ~Ron

small farm girl said...

Oh, just to have half your energy. LOL

Mama G @ bigcraftyblog.blogspot.com said...

I live in Ohio and have been enjoying this nice weather so much! This winter has been a tough one. In regards to the cabbages, I left some fall cabbages in the ground as I put them in too late and they never had time to grow. If I let them go in the spring will they have new growth that I can pick at you think? Like take some leaves as they grow, kind of like collards. Or do you think it would be better to just pull em up and use the space for something else? In other news I started a website for all of my frugal goodness and such and would love if you could come check it out! www.simple-and-frugal-living.com

Leslie @ glennfamilygardens.blogspot.com

Mary said...

We're supposed to have pretty nice weather in the Carolinas this week--I'm going to Spokane--timing eh?
But-- get to see my grand gal.. so who cares, I'll just bring my Fargo coat.:)