Search This Blog

Monday, December 6, 2010

OK shoveling snow is a waste of time

Sure didn't take long today to figure out that I was wasting my time shoveling snow off the deck. I put on my line wind breaker pants over my jammies and pulled on a sweat shirt, boots and gloves and my silly hat with the ear flaps and out I went. All I succeeded in doing was getting cold and making my joints hurt more. By time I got the snow and ice from last night off it had snowed more in 30 minutes to cover it over again. So I gave up on that and went to the summer kitchen to check on the water. We have a small electric heater out there set on low heat just to keep the pipes from freezing. I ran the water for a bit and it was fine. I have the remote sensor for the thermometer out there on the counter so I can sit in here and know how cold it gets out there. The thermometer was saying 55 degrees, so thas good. By supper time the temp was down to 44 and it is 16 outside right now. Our low for tonight is posed to be 12. Forecast to be that cold for a few days then back up to low 30's.
My late cabbage that I planted in mid September are now covered with snow. Not sure if it will kill them or not. We shall see when the sun comes out again. And they were just starting to make heads too. So note to self, next year plant late cabbage in mid august. I guess we all live and learn don't we. But normally we don't have this much cold and snow this early in December. I think we might have a white Christmas. Not much really happening here on the homestead in this weather. So till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

3 comments:

The Apple Pie Gal said...

Your cold bones shouldn't be out there missy! And those kids gone to boot! Hmm...make false promises to hubby next time...hehehee

small farm girl said...

I don't know about you, but these kind of days and nights make me want a hot tub. lol

stella said...

oooh yeh, a hot tub, I'd make false promises to anybody for a hot tub. lol