Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Moving right along

We are on the up hill swing of winter now as yesterday was the shortest day of the year. Each day from here on will be a few minutes longer. I am so looking forward to spring now. I have been in the house for 3 weeks and I think I got a bad case of cabin fever. I am to the point that I just want to sleep. Kinda one of those deals, the less ya do the less ya want to do. But this weekend will be different. The guys are off work till Monday after Christmas and they will be home. I am thinking I need to enlist some help getting the brooder house cleaned out so the floors can dry really well before spring. And we need to get the smoke house in shape for the butchering that will take place next weekend on New Years. For us thas a pretty cool way to spend New Years eve, butchering a hog. It usually takes 2 days to get it all done. The first day butchering and cutting, curing meat. The second day is spent making lard. And yes I intend to use the lard. Some things just require lard to be good. Pie crust being one of em. We also need to get our corn shelled and ready to grind for cornmeal too. And this would be a good time to stay in and make and can hominy. I love my homemade hominy. So much better for ya than just corn. Just things on my to-do list as usual.
We don't have anything planned for the Christmas holiday. I probably will fix a turkey breast and maybe a ham and we can eat on that all weekend while we just do minor chores. After all it is winter and the time of year we celebrate the birth of our savior. We are forecast to have some snow so I think it will be a nice time to stay home and reflect on the real reason for the season.
Till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

No comments: