Search This Blog

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Too cold for man or beast

It is winter time for sure. Too cold to be outside doing anything. This is the third day in a row that I have been inside all day and not gotten out of my jammies. It is kinda nice but also gets a little boring too. You can only clean house so much and surf the Internet. I am not a TV person so that is out of the question. I have done some work on my cook book that i am putting on my computer. Just compiling recipes that I use for cooking and for canning. I have an old Kerr canning book that has some really good recipes in it. I think it is from the early 80's. It is choked full of good information.
We are still having some snow flurries like we have had every night for the past week or so. Nothing accumulates but you can see the flakes falling. It is bitterly cold out tonight too. Last time I looked the temp was about 18 and good thing we don't have wind, the wind chill would be unbearable. It weather like this that I don't mind the fact that I don't have any live stock to take care of or try to keep warm. The chickens are fine in their little building as it is mostly air tight. And they do have plenty of straw on the floor. It does get to be a problem keeping the water thawed for them. We usually just take fresh water out there twice a day to be sure.
The plans are finally drawn for my summer kitchen. I do now have a good idea of the building materials that I need so I will be getting those soon. It just might get built this winter and spring. So till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

No comments: