Search This Blog

Saturday, January 23, 2010

A beautiful day

The weather was so nice today that you just had to get out and go somewhere or do something constructive. Well in a small town you are limited on places to go, so I just went into town with my little shopping list. Nothing really major, just needed some routine things that I had put off for way too long. Kinda wanted to go to the old farm store here in town to see if the owner had any fence wire left from when they had a farm store franchise. I really want to fence in an area around the hen house across the road and put my layers down there so I can use the building up here to raise fryers in this spring. No luck there, so I went bust on that search. Guess I will have to just suck it up and pay a higher price in the big city for fencing. Then on to the local dollar store to fill my list. I did remember to pick up some zip top freezer bags to put the cornmeal in. The fellow that runs the grist mill finally got to grind some today with the nice weather. So we now have about 120 pounds of fresh cornmeal. That will keep us well supplied for the next year till we have more corn and the mill is grinding next winter. We did save enough of the Boone county white corn to plant about an acre this spring for chicken feed and our cornmeal.

We are supposed to get rain for the next week and some gusty winds for the next couple days so it will be a good time to stay in side and get some restocking done in the pantry. I have 8 lb of pinto beans soaking right now to make chili beans with tomorrow. And I always soak too many for the size kettle I start out with. I put 8 lb of beans in a 16 quart cooker and the beans have swelled up almost to the top. Now I got to put some of em in another kettle. It will probably take me all day to get all of em canned. I never do small amounts of anything. Leave it to me to work my self to death. Till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

No comments: