Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My seed order arrived


It was so nice outside today but dang I did'nt get to enjoy it at all. I had a doctors appointment and that messes up the whole day. But I was like a kid in a candy store today when my seed order arrived. I knew about what I had ordered but when you have those little packets in your hands it becomes more real. We still have several different kinds of seeds that we saved from last year to re-plant plus all the new ones I just got. I did order a good supply of herb seeds this year for things I don't already have growing. Mostly culinary herbs and a few for teas. Then I sorted the seeds by planting times in our area. The ones that need to be planted in cool weather like peas, carrot and lettuces that get planted in February. Then we plant potatoes in March. Then in April we usually plant our corn and beans. Then everything else that cant take a light frost gets put in after the first 3 days of May. When I was growing up we never planted on the first 3 days of May as the old folks said that was "flower days". Which meant you would have flowers but no fruit. Dad said he had that happen to him one time so I don't take a chance on it. May have just been a coincidence but none the less. Then in March I will start all the tomatoes, cabbages, broccoli, peppers and such in a cold frame or green house, which ever I have at the time. Most all the seeds that I got are open pollinated so we can save our own seed for next season. This year the seed order came to $153. Dang that is a months groceries right there. But I can grow more than a years worth of food from that too. Now I have to get busy and order some more strawberry plants and get some fruit trees. Still lots to get ordered. Till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

2 comments:

Gianetta said...

I thought March would be too early for potatoes. I thought you never planted them until after Easter.

stella said...

Hi yall, am a happy lil camper with all muh seeds to play with. Greg I can read an the paks are labeled. lol
MA we alas plant in March, it take taters a bit to come up so they are usually not outa the ground much before the last frost so they dont get bit. I do this cause its what my dad alas did. lol
stella