Search This Blog

Monday, December 28, 2009

Its cold, I dont want to be out there

It has been rather cold for the past several days around here. But it is winter time. The older I get the less I like cold weather. It just seems to make all my injuries hurt even more than usual. It is warm in the house, so that's where I stay if at all possible. I did go out today and let the chickens out to scratch a lil while. They didn't care much for the cold wind either. I think they were more interested in water than any thing else. It is hard this time of year to keep waterers thawed. I should have emptied my rain barrels to keep them from freezing but that never got done. So I have to break the ice in them daily to get water for the chickens.
Jason is going to be home for a few more days so we are going tomorrow to see some friends of mine in central Kentucky. We are taking my friend Rosie a dishwasher which I wish I could have gotten to her 2 months ago. She broke her foot about the same time I had elbow surgery and neither of us could travel. I think she will also appreciate a bushel of sweet potatoes and a feed bag full of turnips for her cellar. Her and the hubby are friends I met on a forum we both frequent online. And in talking to her online we found that her hubby grew up about 30 miles or so from me. It is a small world. They are such nice folks. They live the simple life very much like we do here. But they have Dexter cows and dang it I want one. I always enjoy visiting their place. And gosh, I wish I only knew half as much about herbal remedies as does she. She grows a lot of her own herbs and makes tinctures and such. She sent me some comfrey tincture for my elbow to encourage healing. The common name for comfrey is "knit bone". There have been sufficient studies done to merit its use in modern applications. I have used it daily for over a week now and my elbow is less painful and less pain makes me think it is healing better.
I also am posting a recipe at Amoy's request. That girl likes fruit and the fruit dip I have made in the past. So for Amoy and all my readers, here is my favorite fruit dip. This can also be used like a thick dressing on chopped mixed fruit as well.

Fruit Dip

!6 oz of cream cheese, softened
13 oz jar marshmallow creme
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla

Beat all smooth with mixer. Serve with fruit wedges or on top of chopped fruit. Enjoy!

Till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

No comments: