Search This Blog

Friday, April 8, 2011

Got some planting done

It didn't rain today and was nice and warm,  so we got the strawberries and raspberries planted this evening after supper. Rodger plowed the garden north and south this time instead of east west. I planted the raspberries north south also. From what I have read on this it provides better air circulation in the plants. This is also true when planting a grape arbor. I had 1 row about 75 ft long of raspberries and almost 4 rows of strawberries that long. I half the strawberries live I will have far more berries than I will ever need. Not looking forward to keeping the weeds out of all those either. The next thing that will go in that area is the grape vines but they will need to grow for a bit before we transplant them to the garden.
The lil chicks are looking good. They grow so fast at first. In just a couple days they start getting lil wing feathers and are lots more active. They have food and water at all times and heat to keep them warm.  I would like to buy a few baby chicks of a standard breed to have for layers. In my experience the dark Cornish do not lay well in winter. Or summer for that matter. I may look at the farm stores next week when I am out of town to see if they have some baby chicks of standard breed. They can live with the Cornish cross till they get bigger.  We shall see.
Not much else happening around here, so till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

No comments: