Search This Blog

Monday, February 8, 2010

Out of hibernation

Ya would think I was hibernating without my computer but that's not the case. I have been a little busy with odd an various things on my mind for the past several days. Am doing physical therapy for my arm and have exercises I do at home twice a day in addition to going the the physical therapist 2 times a week. And any repetitive use of my right arm does increase the pain a good deal. So I try to avoid that when possible. Also trying to adjust my diet to include foods that decrease inflammation and avoid ones that increase it. It would be easy to just take a steroid shot but I much rather not go that route. I don't think I need steroids accelerating osteoporosis. Now that I already have bone spurs on my spine.
I stopped by today after my therapy to check on mom and she is not doing as well as any of us would like. Myself along with the nursing staff think that maybe she has had a light stroke at some point that has been missed. This is often the case when older folks fall. The first late indication is altered mental status. And this is what she has going on right now. But she is still doing therapy even after falling again for the third time trying to get up alone. I think her chances of ever going back to her little apartment are all but gone at this point. But we keep trying.
I hope you all are staying warm and toasty in this nasty weather we have had for the past several weeks. We are supposed to get yet another snow and ice storm this week. Accumulations of 2 to 4 inches of snow. Dang we just got done with flooding from last week. So I am stuck inside for a few days more.
When I got home from therapy today, I went out back to let the hens out for a while. They went off their merry way and I played with Luna for a little bit and came in. Was online and heard the chickens start cackling and Luna run off the porch barking. When I got to the front door to see what the commotion was all about, I saw a big stray dog leaving the back yard and heading off into the woods with Luna hot on his tail. She stopped at the edge of the yard and stood her ground. The dog had either chased the chickens or startled them and those are her chickens and things are not allowed to bother them. She is such a good watch dog, she well earns and deserves her food. Not to mention lots a cookies. Her working just gives me peace of mind not having to be constantly watching to keep critters from killing my chickens. Be glad when spring gets here and she can have a bath, she stays dirty with all the mud we have here. Maybe if we get more snow she will get dry cleaned again like last time. Till then, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

No comments: