Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Well sweet potatoes are promising



The Irish potatoes are a flop due to many factors but the sweet potatoes are promising so far. After the discouraging dig in the Irish potatoes and no size or turn out we decided to check and see how the sweet potatoes were coming along. So far it looks like they are going to be really good and big too. They still have about a month and a half to grow before they are done and we dig them for storage in the root cellar. We only dug in the pink ones so far and they are good so the white ones hopefully did as well or better. We prefer the white sweet taters over any other. On the homestead we are divided on which potato fork to use when digging taters and which is easier. I still prefer the one on the left as that I is the one I grew up using. The other one is used like a spade and to me is harder to use. I still like the old ways better.
Not much else happening on the homestead today, other than made a decision to put the remaining tomatillos in the freezer to use in soup and green pork that an online friend sent me a recipe for. Still have lots of red bell peppers to put up in some fashion. Maybe one decision a day is enough so I will leave that one till tomorrow. So till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

stella

No comments: