Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Canning tomatillo salsa

This is the recipe I use for canning homemade tomatillo salsa. I usually add a lil more hot pepper as we like it a little spicier. I also add about 2 times as much garlic as the recipe calls for.
Enjoy! Till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

stella
clipped from aces.nmsu.edu

Tomatillo Green Salsa

Yield: 5 pints

5 cups chopped tomatillos

1 1/2 cups seeded, chopped long green chiles

1/2 cup seeded finely chopped jalapeƱos

4 cups chopped onions

1 cup bottled lemon juice

6 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 Tbsp ground cumin*

3 Tbsp oregano leaves *

1 Tbsp salt

1 tsp black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and stir frequently over
high heat until mixture begins to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for
20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle hot salsa into pint jars, leaving
1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner 15
minutes at 0-1,000 feet altitude; 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet; 25 minutes
above 6,000 feet.

blog it

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is just the sort of pepper-hopping recipe I've been looking for tonight. I like tomatillos but have never cooked them myself, and all of the recipes I've found have looked pretty mild. Yours has some pizazz. Will report back.

Chef Jay said...

This is something I have been looking for. Will definitely try it soon!Thanks for sharing this recipe. If you want to know more about canning salsa, feel free to check out my site.