Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Going to be busy



Well tomorrow is going to be busy for me. We picked more tomatoes, peppers, hot peppers, squash, and a few cukes, tomatillos, red cabbage and dug some potaotes. Made some tomato juice today, 6 quarts to be exact, and there are more tomatoes to use tomorrow in something. The bell peppers are starting to ripen and get red. Maybe I will can some of those. Our carrots were beginning to die back so we pulled all of them this evening, and they were much bigger than I had anticipated. I am very pleased with them. The remaining onions were also pulled as the tops had died on those as well.
I took a good look at my pumpkins when I noticed the vines were looking sorta wimpy. The vines had rotted near the pumpkin so those were brought in too. The same thing happened with my butternut squash. They didn't produce like they normally do, lots a flowers but not much fruit. The bees just couldn't work the flowers with all the rain we have had this summer. Guess they don't like working in the rain and mud either.
The one thing I do have enough of is tomatillos. Picked another half bushel of those this evening too. More salsa to be made soon.
So till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

stella

1 comment:

Jen said...

Stelly,
You rock with yer garden harvests!! What time's dinner tomorrow? I love dippin' carrots in honey..try it sometime. ~jen