Search This Blog

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Moving slow again today

Golly moving slow is not my nature but if ya back is out thas what ya do. The back is some better today although not much. Must be a nerve in a pinch because it has affected my legs a good bit. They just don't work like they should so I don't try to maneuver uneven surfaces too much. But suppose it will grow back. I did get a call from the nursing home this morning and mom came back from the emergency room on antibiotics and pain meds till she sees the surgeon next week. So she is feeling some better.
I finally got the rest of my cornmeal bagged up and vacuum sealed and put in storage. Then mixed the salt cure for Rodger to take with him hog hunting next week. Now if I can get laundry done and folded the house cleaning will just have to wait till the back works again.
We went and checked on the pork that we are curing from the hog we butchered about 4 weeks ago and it seems to so far be doing OK. It got a good bit colder after we butchered than I would have liked, but we just don't control the weather. The bacon was dry enough that I felt comfortable going ahead and hanging it up. So we did. The hams need a lil more time to lay on the bench to cure a while as they are not as dry as they could be.

Cured meat needs to be dry before hanging as to not have the cure mixture fall off it. See the bacon is dry but the hams are not.

The hams are still curing so they are left till they are dry then they get hung up as well. These will be kept separate on this bench from the wild hog meat that Rodger brings home from his hunt. I just never like putting cured meat in direct contact with meat that is just starting to cure. The hams here are drying nicely and don't need moisture on them from fresh ones that are just starting to cure and produce a lot of moisture. It normally takes 3 to 6 weeks depending on the weather. It is best to do the curing when the temps are cold but stay above freezing both day and night. It seems to take less time to draw the moisture out. But they are progressing so I wont complain. OK off to do laundry and get Rodger packed up. So till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful bacon and ham...Love reading about all you get done on your place. I hope you are feeling better. I have very pinched muscles in my neck right now causing pain and headaches and I hate not being able to just do what I want to do because of the discomfort.

The Apple Pie Gal said...

Wow...looking good! Maybe when this weather breaks, the body will cooperate again!

DR said...

I hope your Mom gets to feeling better soon and you too. I guess Rodger must have if he is going hog hunting. Whatever it is, ya'll keep it up there in KY!

Marmee's Pantry said...

WOW! Just found you by following a link from another blog. Can't wait to dig into your archives, so glad I found you.

I am a 1st generation Buckeye, both parents from KY. Daddy actually grew up from infancy in Lucasville, Oh; my mom is from the Wrigley/West Liberty, KY area & I am a descendant of Jenny Wiley w/Scott's & Cherokee blood on Daddy's side...our KY roots grow deep.

I agree w/your profile comment ~ I don't know how ppl can live w/o the sweetness of the country. I'll go to the city for a quick visit, but LIFE is in country (or, at least, small town) living.

Looking forward to getting to know you. Please stop by Marmee's Pantry anytime.

Blessings from Ohio...Kim<><