Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I thought I was done........

I thought I was done with the hog meat and stuff till I remembered the cracklings that I still needed to take care of. So I got them out to the summer kitchen and put them in a cast iron dutch oven to brown a bit more and get out more of the lard. They turned out nice and crunchy. And they taste even better now. Now just needed to let them cool and bag em up and freeze em for later use. While I was out there I got all the jars of hominy washed off and ready to take to the cellar to store. Not much else happening around here now. When Rodger got home he shelled some more corn for cornmeal. We have about 130 lb shelled so far and I think we may try to have about 200 lb total ground for meal. I am so glad we don't have to buy veggies and stuff like that from the store. I read an article online about the freezes in Florida that have damaged the crops down there and I really don't see how the farmers are gonna make ends meet. Not to mention how it will effect the price of what people have to pay in the store. If I had to get what we eat from the store I would panic about now. After reading this  article I know I would panic. Can you imagine $30 for 48 ears of sweet corn? And all the other things that have went up in price after the freeze down there. I am ever so thankful that God has given me the ability to raise most of what we eat and blessed us to put it away.
So till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

4 comments:

The Apple Pie Gal said...

I just read the article and whoa! That is some pretty wide spread devastation down there.

I hope it is not indicative of our summer either!

Vee said...

Our crops were pretty lean this year. Was our first year and hadn't amended the soil yet. Now I'm not even sure we'll be here this coming year so I'm wary about putting more time, effort and money into the soil. Meanwhile, I **do** have tomatoes and blueberries growing inside. Hopefully soon. At least we stored milk from our goat (who is now drying up!). Vee at http://veegettinghealthy.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately I have to buy way too much fruit and vegies from the store, but since hubby just finished the greenhouse, I am hoping to change that!

stella said...

Hi yall, dang it is skeery out there in veggie land with all the freezing. Makes me especially thankful I have lots canned and frozen. Now if I jus had a cow to make butter and have milk I would be in hog heaven. NO wait.........hog heaven was last week. lol
I wanna greenhouse too that I can use year round not jus to start things in. Maybe in the near future I can bribe somebody. lol