Search This Blog

Monday, September 28, 2009

This is the view



I spent the day today again cleaning the old home place. This is taking longer than I thought it was going to. But as anyone who has done any painting or cleaning in the house knows it is a lot easier to do when the house is empty. So I washed walls and cleaned base boards today. This evening I decided to tackle the range and get it in a decent shape. That took some elbow grease that I didn't have to spend. Came back to my house and fixed dinner, ate a little and went back to wash kitchen cabinets. They looked so nice once they were cleaned and had lemon oil on them. I got to thinking again about my family that had built the house and took notice to the views from some of the windows. I am fairly certain now that they gave some real thought in window placement. The windows now may be new but the view is the same as it has been for years. One window looks out toward the big field where the family always raised corn, maybe my grandmother would look see when the menfolk were heading out of the fields to come in for lunch. And another window could give them a view of the old apple orchard. Yet another has a view to where the milk cows were kept. And the windows on the east end of the house gives a good view of the road so you knew when company was coming. I remember as a child looking out the windows and every one of them gives you a view of a part of the farm. Really you can look out and keep watch on most of the place in the safety of home. Till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

stella

No comments: