Search This Blog

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Finishing some projects

As the fall season fast approaches we are trying to get a few projects done that are a must before it gets too cold. The concrete work on the root cellar needs to be complete so we can get the sealer on and get it back filled. The contractor has pulled out without finishing the work and we need it to be done, so if you want something done right you do it yourself. That is the task for the next few days. There are some major rough spots that will have to be ground out and a thin coat of cement put on the whole thing inside and some patch work to do outside. Then we can get the sealer applied and then put all the dirt back on it and hopefully it will stay nice and dry and cool for storing canned foods and root crops.
The new strawberry bed that was in the plans needs to be started. I had planned on using the backhoe to move the large amount of dirt that it will need to fill it but looks like I will be using a shovel instead. Would be nice to get those moved so they can get set in good before winter. That's still a maybe.
I had planned on butchering some chickens this weekend but I think with all my help planning other things that will have to wait till next weekend. But they will eventually end up in the freezer and jars. But today when I was cleaning the outbuilding I pulled out a big tote that had clean ready to use jars in it. That is where most of my pint jars were this summer when I was buying jars thinking I had used all the pints. Now I need to find something to can in them. Humm, maybe jam or green tomato mincemeat would be good.
Till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

stella

No comments: