Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Its been a while



It has been many years since I had a chance to run the farm tractor or put up hay. But today I had my chance. Jason and I had the task of raking and picking up some hay to stack for use in the chicken houses this winter and to spread over grass seed when we get the dirt put back in place over the root cellar. It was finally dry enough to store today so we headed off the the field with the truck and tractor to rake. With my prior back injury he decided he didn't want me riding on the team drawn hay rake and operating the lever so I was told I had to drive the tractor while he did the lever work. OK so its been 20 years since I had to drive the tractor. After a quick refresher course in the tractor operating department we were off. It didn't take long to get the hang of it. I sure was nice to be able to do that again. Then we were down to the manual labor part of picking up the hay. Jason used a pitch fork to throw the hay in the truck and my job was to walk in it to pack it in a little bit so we could haul more and it didn't blow out on the way to where we were going to stack it. I remember doing this for my dad when I was a little girl. Its been a good 35 years and if memory serves me it was a lot more fun back then. And maybe shorts and tennis shoes were not such a good idea to work in hay. But we did get enough stacked to last the winter for the birds and what ever else we need it for. All done without expensive equipment, the old fashioned way. Till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

stella

No comments: