Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Its time to get busy

It is getting time to get things ready for spring planting. I weeded my asparagus and strawberry beds this past weekend, still don't have mulch down. Today I got the deck cleaned off and the covers back on the patio furniture on the front porch. It was down right hot today. I was sweating when we sat down to eat supper and we ended up turning the A/C on for a while.
After supper Rodger got on the tractor and bush hogged down the corn stalks from last years corn field. I think he is getting up really early in the morning to try to get the ground turned before we got to my doc appointment in the afternoon.
I let the chickens out kinda early today and I got a hen setting again. And I swear I think it is one that just hatched off some in early January and has weaned them. So I stuck 10 eggs under her to see what happens. After I did that I got to thinking, she will prolly hatch the week we are gone on vacation and Jason will have to take care of baby chicks. That will do him good. I am getting ready to order chicks to raise for meat so they will arrive after we get home. Then I will be butchering chickens about the last of May.
In my plundering outside earlier today, I saw leaves coming out on our lil pear tree, my lilac bushes are getting leaves too. This weekend we must get the plastic on the greenhouse so I can get seeds started. Rodger did say our peas and stuff he  planted is starting to peek thru the ground. So that's a good thing, at least they didn't wash away in the heavy rains.
Not much else happening here on the farm, so till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

1 comment:

Jen said...

Ahhhh, signs of life at the McGuire Homestead. Its gonna be a great year.

'Jenny'