Search This Blog

Friday, March 23, 2012

It seems to be spring here

I have managed to stay busy this week and got a few spring chores done. On Tuesday I got all my seeds in potting soil to start plants for the big garden. This year I thought about tomatoes and peppers needing extra calcium to prevent blossom end rot. I had saved all my egg shells, rinsed an dried them and had them stored in the freezer. So when I started putting soil in the trays to start the tomatoes an peppers I put some crushed egg shells in the bottom of each tray. So when we transplant the plants to the garden later the egg shells will be in the soil and available to the plants for extra calcium. Guess I will see how well this works for me. I also got the kiwi vines pruned too. Not sure if they cuttings will propagate or not but I took some cutting and dipped them in rooting hormone and put them in soil to see if they make new plants.
My strawberry plants that my friend Gretchen and her hubby sent me last year are loaded with bloom. I should have lots of berries this year. I still need to transplant some of the ones from the field back over here to the old flower bed that has been prepped for them near the driveway here at the house. There is just no way to keep the grass and weeds out of them in the field where I have them now. I should think things thru a lil better before I plant stuff. Might save me a lot of work in the long run. Any who, story of my life.
We got a lil rain this afternoon after it staying cloudy most all day. Gosh the weeds and grass in the yard grew several inches with the lil rain tho. We need to mow like really soon. Our yard looks awful shabby an over grown. Guess that is a task for after the rain and it dries a lil.
Not much else happening here on the farm, so till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

1 comment:

DR said...

We tried planting strawberries in the garden too. Bermuda grass is from the devil I think. I didn't even try to transplant any of them I was so disgusted. But I do the same with my eggshells, and I think it works!