Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

It sure looks like summer here

And its only the end of March. All the fruit trees here have bloomed out and now starting to lose their bloom. We have had frost advisories the past couple nights but we didn't get any here at the house. I have peas, carrots, onions, and lettuce coming up in the garden. Our forsythia and Spirea bushes have bloomed out and look so pretty. AND the dandelions in the yard popped up after  Rodger mowed Sunday night. The weather has been nice the past couple days tho, not too hot, just right like baby bears porridge.




This spirea bush is one my aunt gave me last spring and this is the first year it has bloomed here. It is also called Bridal vail.


The forsythia is planted in a row at the end of the driveway and I hope in a few years it will block the view from the road to the house.
 
 

 My zinnias that my friend Deb sent me seed for are coming up in the pots. Oh my, I sure think I put far too many seeds in there. Not sure where the heck I will plant those.


I have one whole flat of cabbage started and they are up already too. It takes the tomatoes a lil longer to sprout and get going.
 
 

Now tell me this ain't redneck? I think everyone needs a big azz bath tub in the middle of their herb garden. Well this is the one we took out of our master bath room. Soon as I get time it will get buried in the herb bed about where it is sitting and I intend to make a water feature with it. I think it is deep enough to maybe have a few gold fish in as well. It wont be so unsightly after it gets buried in the ground and trimmed out with rocks. But for now, I am just content to be redneck. As you can see in the picture above, some of my chamomile has jumped the fence and is growing on the edge of the driveway now.

We got our hams trimmed and sliced an put in the freezer last evening. I had a good deal of fat and skin that was trimmed off. Rodger and I rendered it down this evening to make lard. I think the lard is good enough to use for soap making. I will wash it again tomorrow to get all the bits of meat out tho. When we get our beef I have ask the butchers to save all the fat for me to render for tallow for soap also. Should have a good bit of soap making material that is mostly free. And nothing beats free, right?

Not much else happening here. So till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What beautiful pictures. We've had a couple of spring-like days but right now are experiencing 60 mph wind and sideways rain. I will live vicariously through you.

DR said...

I think Luna will LOVE the new water feature!

Jen said...

Love yer place! -'Jenny'

mariann said...

I sincerely need a big azz bathtub for an herb garden!!! :)