Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Too cold to garden

Our weather has went to chit, it is far too cold for anything to grow IF you can brave the mud to plant. I think we are in the midst of what we call "blackberry winter". It is no higher than 50 degrees during the day and low 40's at night and all with rain showers. Even with all the rain the garden stuff we have planted does look rather good. The corn came up pretty evenly, the green beans are up and doing good. The tomatoes, sweet potatoes and peppers that we transplanted last week look good. Rodger was in the field last evening and said it seems there are not any tater bugs on the taters right now. But I am sure they are laying down there under the soil just waiting for the sun to shine so they can chow down. As for garden stuff we have all the really important stuff planted. Still need to plant watermelons and cantaloupe and probably pumpkins and cushaws.
I was sitting here today and decided it might be a good idea to kinda draw a plan of where all the different herbs are planted in the herb bed.  As it is I have 26 different varieties of herbs planted, either plants and/or seeds sown.

chives-plants and seeds
parsley-plants and seeds
dill-plants and volunteer seeds
basil-plants
cumin-seeds
lovage-seeds
caraway-plants and seeds
calendula-seeds
sage-plants
savory-plants
marjoram-plants
lemon mint-plants
spearmint-plants
chamomile-plants
tarragon-plants
oregano-plants
bergomont-plants
echinecae-plants
borage-plants
horseradish-plants
thyme-plants
fever few-plants
stevia-plants
lavender-plants
stinging nettle-plants
comfrey-plants

I do think I pretty much have the seasoning part of cooking supplied for now. Unless I find something else that I can grow to use. Some of the herbs are first timers for me, most I have raised for years. The fever few and lavender are the ones that are not in the herb bed, as well as stinging nettle and comfrey. Herbs do sort of cover 2 aspects of gardening for me. They are really pretty plants, most of them flower in summer and for culinary use as well. Keeps me in the clear when hubby tells me I don't need any more flowers. "But hunny these are herbs". Cant help it they are pretty as well.
Till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have had on-going rain here on the Oregon coast, so any planting is still a while away. I did put some cabbage starts in a bed, as well as some kale plants. I went ahead and put the tomato plants in, but if I try to plant seeds, they'll rot so quick. Hope it dries up soon.

The Apple Pie Gal said...

Stella, brilliant! I love how you get by Rodger with the herbs / flowers!

Sounds like you are off to a running start regardless of the weather.

Mary said...

Have you done lovage before? I think it gets pretty big. I love herbs too. comfrey--I think I have half the hill at our house full of that now--started with one. I just split it up and its only been a couple years, it loves that spot.
We've had too much rain too. I'm at the house and it is so muddy, and we were planning to work outside--yuk.