Search This Blog

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Its cold, I dont like it, I stay in here

Our weather has went from nice spring like temps to severe thunderstorms to lots of rain to below freezing and snow now this evening. We are now supposed to get up to 2 inches of snow tonight. And highs tomorrow in the 20's. The old saying is "if you don't like Kentucky weather hang around a day or so and it will change". I think this is true. It is tough in this kind of weather to keep water out for all the critters. The chickens especially drink far more than I could imagine. Not to mention what Luna and the cats consume. Even in this cold weather the hens seem to be laying better. I have more young pullets that are starting to lay now as well. The older hens are laying about every other day as best I can tell from the egg colors I get. I still need to thin the flock out a bit. I don't have a need for 20 laying hens on the place. We use eggs but not THAT many. I did go out long enough to let the chickens out for the afternoon and get things from the cellar for supper. If we get snow over night I plan to stay in here all day tomorrow and not get out at all. Might be a good day to sew. Or not. If its cold outdoors it just seems to drain my energy. All I want to do is curl up on the couch with a magazine or read books on my Kindle for PC. On the farm that has always been what winter is about. It was a time to rest and plan for the following season of work. Kinda nice, almost like a mental vacation. It also gives me time to explore websites on the computer and learn new things. Some good, some not so much. Sometimes you learn stuff you really may be better off not knowing. Like some studies now hint that the sudden surge of children with ADHD and hyperactivity may be connected to the mercury used as a preservative in childhood vaccines. One in particular is the injection given to infants at birth. It is a Hepatitis shot that according to some doctors (including one doc at UK college of medicine) says that the single injection contains the amount of mercury allowed for a 275 lb adult and it is given to an infant. Mercury kills neurons so directly effects nerves. No wonder so many children are hyper. See I should not have read or known about that. Well yes I do need to be aware of that fact as I will have a new grand baby this year. Anyway there are tons of info on all subjects out there to read about and learn. So I google and read and learn things pertinent to my life here on the farm. I don't always remember everything I read but its in my head somewhere. I just cant recall all of it at one time.

I am kinda looking forward to spring and flowers blooming, being able to work in the yard, clean my herb bed up, witness the new growth and Gods promise of another season. To plant a garden is to have hope in tomorrow.

Not much else happening here on the farm, so till next time, blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

No comments: