Search This Blog

Friday, March 18, 2011

In memory of Jackie........

This post is in memory of my friend Jackie Cooper who lost her battle with Lupus on Wednesday March 16th at the age of 46. Jackie was diagnosed with lupus several years ago and is one of those hard working people who fell through the cracks of no medical insurance. At times she worked several part-time jobs to make ends meet and none of them afforded her health insurance. She had a bad flare up of lupus several weeks ago when I was in west Ky working. I was so glad I got to see her, although she was in the hospital at the time. I got home and a few days later got a text message from her that she was released to go home. The week I was there she finally got approved for disability albeit too late. After being home for about a week she had another flare up and was back in the local hospital and ended up on a vent. Even with the vent her body was failing and the decision was made to remove the vent. Jackie would not have wanted to be an invalid. She passed away shortly after she was taken off the vent with her family and friends at her side. She had an appointment at Vanderbilt University in Tennessee for March 17th, one day too late. So sad the life of a dear sweet lady was lost due to not being able to afford the right medical care sooner. The docs at her local hospital did all they could do for her with the Lupus winning the battle for her life. A memorial service will be held Monday March 21st for her. She wished to be cremated and her kids honored that wish. Some of her ashes will be buried in west Ky near her brother and remainder will be taken by Aunt Ann and some of Jackie's friends to Panama City Beach Florida and scattered on the beach. Jackie's favorite place. Rest in peace Jackie. Love ya and will miss you.

Blessings from the McGuire homestead.

Stella

3 comments:

doubletrouble said...

Sorry about the news of your loss Stella.
I lost a close cousin 6 years ago to lupus- I didn't even know what it was at the time.
Jackie & her family & friends will be in my prayers.

Kathi said...

I am so sorry that you've lost your friend. I know that Lupus is a terrible disease and to have been a victim to that and issues of insurance is so heartbreaking. Thoughts and prayers to you, Jackie and all who loved her.

Anonymous said...

I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I am very glad, however that you were able to see her before her passing. I'm sure that helped aid in closure for you, and knowing that she is now in a far better place.